Tuesday 17 August 2010

Buenos Aires

Well i finally got here after 35 hours door to door! I don´t recommend taking 2 (or any) connecting flights through Brazil, its the most disorganised airport system imaginable. My bags were checked through to Buenos Aires from Heathrow, but everybody were made to go through immigration in Rio, stop 1. I got sent back through customs to collect my baggage, then explain i wasn´t staying in brazil but had to fill out immigration forms anyway. Then i had to check in again. Then i got sent back to the check in desk from security because i had to pay departure tax. My flight to Sao Paulo was on the international departures board instead of domestic for some reason, its not fun looking on the departures board and not seeing your flight. When i got to Sao Paulo i had to go through Brazilian nationals channel then check in again (!!!!!).
My humour remained intact as i had slept nearly 8 hours on the Rio flight, a handy side effect of a weeks late nights leading up to the trip.

So Buenos Aires. A really friendly, cosmopoliton city, feels very European. I spent today going around the city on the tube and walking around parks. I visited some japonese gardens very nice but not the most tranquil as they had a 7 lane road next to them.
I also had a lot of fun using spanish. I was relieved to find i could make myself understood ordering food, tickets, asking directions etc. Understanding other people seems to be different skill completely, i am hoping that will improve quickly because i can´t really do it!

I´m looking forward to coming back here in a few weeks and exploring it properly. Tomorrow i fly to Salta in the North of the country.
Right off to have a giant steak and see what all the fuss is about.

1 comment:

  1. So how was the steak! Bit different to chick peas and dall!
    x

    ReplyDelete